How to Apply for Divorce if Husband is not in Pakistan

Going for a divorce in Pakistan is considered as an emotionally sad situation. The couple has to face mental and physical inconvenience as the proceedings take a while. For someone residing in Pakistan, the process is a little simpler but what if the wife lives in Pakistan and the husband lives abroad? In that case, if the couple wants to apply for divorce they may have to follow some additional steps mentioned in this article.

How to File for Divorce if the Man is Living Abroad?

If the husband lives abroad and wants to divorce his wife who is living in Pakistan he should follow the following steps:

Step 1: The first step for an overseas husband to divorce his wife would be to submit a divorce application. He has to apply to his local Pakistani embassy.

Step 2: In order to make divorce matters easy the husband will have to hire a lawyer. He can either choose someone who lives abroad or someone living in Pakistan. The lawyer has to be skilled in dealing with international divorce cases

Step 3: The husband needs to send a divorce notice and power of attorney to the lawyer that he has hired.

Step 4: Attest the Power of attorney and divorce notice from your local embassy

Step 5: Your family divorce lawyer will obtain the power of attorney and then will file for the divorce process in Pakistan


How to File for Khula if the Husband Lives Abroad?

If you are a wife who lives in Pakistan and has to take Khula from her overseas husband you must follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Hire a lawyer who has experience in handling international khula cases. You will need your lawyer as your husband lives abroad and for filing a Khula case you will need the lawyer’s help

Step 2: With the assistance of your lawyer you have to file an International Khula case in a Pakistani family court. You will transfer the power of attorney to your lawyer and he will file on your behalf.

Step 3: Next the court will send a divorce notice to your husband who is living abroad. Your lawyer will have to inform the local Pakistani embassy of the country where your husband lives. The embassy will also notify your husband about the khula procedure that is about to begin.